|Action Plan of the Kickemuit River Council for 2004
- Finish the "Blue Tab" sewer tie-in project.
- Work on the Blue Crab restoration project'. Investigate educational possibilities.
- Investigate the purchase of a fecal monitoring device to use in the Kickemuit
River for the use of volunteers and neighborhood, and associations, and
to be helpful in the fresh water Kickemuit River also.
- Investigate natural solutions to the algae problem in the freshwater
- Fulfill our obligations on the Libby Lane and Raccoon Gate grant award.
- Work on having stream near the Housing for the Elderly on Libby Lane
cleaned and improved for water quality.
- Help with a 2004 Cleanup. Investigate litter control.
- Write a grant for a sign at the entrance of the Kickemuit giving pumpout
boat information, regulations in the river, and harbormaster information.
- Continue to participate in the Rhode Island Rivers' Council meetings and conferences.
- Write a grant and work with the Sewer Commission on education of homeowners
on proper care of septic systems.
- Attend Habitat Restoration Conference at the Audubon Society.
- Analyze Department of Environmental Management's Storm Drain Survey. Try to effect changes in Bristol and
pipe on westerly side of Rt. l03 in Warren.
- Analyze rights of way and see if needed improved. Work for improvement.
Study an overlook possibility.
- Continue recruitment of new members, particularly in freshwater Kickemuit.
- Continue to fight invasive plants.
- Finish Watershed Plan work with Justine Calcina and the Eastern Rhode Island
- Oppose the oversize dock at Sherman Avenue and Everett Avenue that poorly
affects the public right of way, the citizens' use and enjoyment of the
- Continue to work on educating the children on the protection and care
needed in the waters of the Kickemuit River and all the waters of Warren
- Continue vigilance about the river and bring information to the public
on the issues that affect the Kickemuit River.
- Continue to oppose the establishment of a commercial dock and dredging
in the Kickemuit River.
- Work on Swansea correcting the storm drain from Smoke Rise Heights Housing
Development. Ask Environmental Protection Agency for help.
- Kickemuit River Council is concerned that the proliferation of docks with arsenic impregnated
piles is poorly affecting the sediment in the Kickemuit River and we ask
the Coastal Resource Management Council to stop granting docks to all who ask.
- Continue work on the web site for the Kickemuit River. Instruction may
- Complete the filing and organization necessary for the Kickemuit River Council's office!